Re: Control files

From: Rauf Sarwar <rs_arwar_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 6 Mar 2003 15:05:36 -0800

"James" <james_at_nothing.com> wrote in message news:<1046938254.556474_at_ftp.adept.co.za>...
> Another question that I need help on.
> Are Control files server specific? Forexample if I have two identical
> servers with the only difference being the name of the Database can the one
> set of control files be used on the other server without multiplexing?
> cheers
> James

  1. You can recreate the controlfiles by using STARTUP NOMOUNT PFILE=....... CREATE CONTROLFILE ... command. For reference, consult Oracle docs or goto http://tahiti.oracle.com. Suggestion: Before every backup and after any major change in the database like adding a datafile, ALWAYS run "alter database backup controlfile to trace;"
  2. Controlfiles are SID specific and if used across different SID's, your database can, should, must barf at you at startup.

Regards
/Rauf Sarwar Received on Fri Mar 07 2003 - 00:05:36 CET

Original text of this message