Re: Calling external programs via PL/SQL

From: Rauf Sarwar <rs_arwar_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 23 Jan 2003 21:38:48 -0800

nicholas.mundy_at_pta.de (Nick) wrote in message news:<9ee14796.0301230408.1d3f78aa_at_posting.google.com>...
> Hello,
> is it possible to call an external program (e.g. the export utility
> EXP) from a PL/SQL procedure inside the database? The background to
> this is we want to schedule the export via dbms_job.
> We have tried using AT.exe (DB-server is Win2k) but this was
> unsatisfactory.
> Thanks
> Nick

To answer your question... Yes it is doable and there are some good posts on how to do it. Search googles.

On a side note... if running exp from your OS is "Unsatisfactory", then is it satisfactory to you to run an external program like exp...one which connects back to the database...from within the database via a dbms_job?

Even though Oracle can handle this job, yet it is not your OS...let your OS handle jobs that run programs outside of the databse...it was designed exactly to do stuff like that. Furthermore, it is much easier and portable to write and maintain a batch script via a scheduled job then a C dll as an external procedure.

Just my 2 cents

Regards
/Rauf Sarwar Received on Fri Jan 24 2003 - 06:38:48 CET

Original text of this message