Re: Oracle 8.1.6 on RedHat 8.0 libjox8.so problems

From: Frank <fbortel_at_home.nl>
Date: Tue, 17 Dec 2002 10:49:20 +0100

Hanoze wrote:

> Frank <fbortel_at_home.nl> wrote in message news:<3DF8F48C.9020006_at_home.nl>...
>

>>Hanoze wrote:
>>
>>>Hi,
>>>
>>>I've managed to install Oracle 8.1.6 on RedHat 8.0 following the
>>>installation guide located at
>>>http://linuxlab.dk/fcl/technotes/ora_817_3 (a very good guide, i give
>>>full credit to the author) and everything went fine except for DB
>>>creation which gave me an error stating TNS: Lost Contact.
>>>
>>>The installation completed (DB creation failed) and then when i start
>>>sqlplus with scott/tiger i get the following error :
>>>
>>>relocation error: /ora01/app/oracle/product/8.1.6/lib/libjox8.so:
>>>undefined symbol: __fixunssfdi
>>>ORA-12547: TNS:lost contact
>>>
>>>The same error occurs on starting svrmgrl
>>>
>>>On reading a few messages i've realised that its some problem realted
>>>to new version of glibc. (Note: I had installed compat-egcs,
>>>compat-glibc and compat-libs before installing oracle)
>>>
>>>My previous OS version was RedHat 7.1 and on that the entire
>>>installation went smoothly (as per the guide located at the url
>>>mentioned above). So it makes me more confident that the error is
>>>related to glibc but am yet to find a solution.
>>>
>>>Hoping for a solution to my problem as it would be a real waste of
>>>effort if i have to revert back to RedHat 7.1
>>>
>>>Warm Regards
>>>hanoze
>>
>>Get the glibc-stubs patch. And 8.1.7...
>

> Hi frank,
>
> thanks for the reply. As per the guide i should have got an error at
> 97% of the installation and then i had to install glibc-stubs patch.
> But i did not get any error while installation (this was the first
> time i ever wished i get an error), so after the installation
> completed i installed glibc-2.1.3-stubs but that didnt help. Any
> suggestions ????
>
> Would installing 8.1.7 really solve the problem ??
>
> thanks
> hanoze

There is a problem with the db assistent; create the scripts instead. Make sure you have the stubs patch installed (ora-03113 is one of the tell-tale signs you have a problem!), and run the scripts from the commandline.

hth, regards, Frank.
PS afaik, have seen this behaviour on RH8 before -still running 7.3 here, but clients run 8.0 Received on Tue Dec 17 2002 - 10:49:20 CET

Original text of this message