Re: Oracle's JDBC driver's PreparedStatement.cancel() doesn't work

From: Sebastiano Pilla <etechweb_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 16 Dec 2002 06:07:07 -0800

Joseph Weinstein <joe_at_bea.com.remove.this> wrote in message news:<3DFBCEED.E253814B_at_bea.com.remove.this>...
> Sebastiano Pilla wrote:
>
> > Joseph Weinstein <joe_at_bea.com.remove.this> wrote:
> >
> > > I'm having problems with Oracle's JDBC driver and wonder if Oracle
> > > knows of this and whether they have an opinion on it. The thin driver's
> > > PreparedStatement.cancel() doesn't work according to the JDBC spec.
> >
> > What version of the JDBC driver? And what Oracle DB version? If it's a
> > 8i driver-database combination, it could be a bug that's fixed in the
> > newer 9i driver-database combination, or it may be as well not...
>
> all versions, including the 9 version...

In the release notes of the JDBC driver there is something related:

 4. The Server-side Internal Driver has the following limitation:
  • Data access for LONG and LONG RAW types is limited to 32K of data.
  • Inserts of Object Types (Oracle Objects, Collections and References) will not work when the database compatibility mode is set to 8.0. This limitation does not apply when the compatibility mode is set to 8.1.
  • Statement.cancel() is not implemented.
  • In a chain of SQLExceptions, only the first one in the chain will have a getSQLState value.
  • Batch updates with Oracle 8 Object, REF and Collection data types are not supported.

However, it talks specifically of the server-side internal driver, i.e. the driver that is loaded by the JVM inside the Oracle instance. There are no mentions of Statement.cancel() being unimplemented in the other JDBC drivers, which I presume are the ones you're using.

Please let us know how the issue ends up, especially if you'll have to open a TAR with Oracle.

Sebastiano Pilla Received on Mon Dec 16 2002 - 15:07:07 CET

Original text of this message