Re: Datafile Sharing Violation Windows NT

From: Sagi <sag1rk_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 4 Dec 2002 09:10:35 -0800

mark.davey_at_dsl.pipex.com (Mark Davey) wrote in message news:<c994d998.0212030841.185e1f58_at_posting.google.com>...
> Hi,
>
> I have dropped a tablespace and it's associated datafiles from within
> Oracle (i.e. Oracle knows nothing about the datafiles on the drive)
> proved by the following: -
>
> SQL> alter database datafile
> 'f:\oracle\oradata\emslive\emscfmirishgreyhound_d01.ora' offline drop;
> alter database datafile
> 'f:\oracle\oradata\emslive\emscfmirishgreyhound_d01.ora' offline drop
> *
> ERROR at line 1:
> ORA-01516: nonexistent log file, datafile or tempfile
> 'f:\oracle\oradata\emslive\emscfmirishgreyhound_d01.ora'
>
> The database is not production critical so I have re-started the box
> but NT/2000 still reports a 'Sharing violation' when I try to remove
> the datafiles.
>
> Am I missing something, is there somewhere else I should be checking
> within Oracle for the existence of these files?
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> Mark Davey

Hi Mark,

It would be very helpful if you mention the Oracle Version. Anway, till Oracle 8i when we delete a tablespace, its only reflected in the CONTROL FILE and other Data Dictionary VIEWS. But still we have to remove it physically at the O/S level.

It sometimes so happens that some Oracle Process might be still using it/LOCKED it and therefore we encounter "Sharing Violation" error. In these circumstances we normally restart the database and the problem is solved.

In you case you said you have re-started the box, i assume u mean that you restarted the server...? Normally now it should allow you to delete the physical file.....Buy anyway can you try to shutdown the oracle properly i.e. SHUTDOWN ;
and see what happens.

Regards,
Sagi Received on Wed Dec 04 2002 - 18:10:35 CET

Original text of this message