Re: Looking for Authors

From: Alex Filonov <afilonov_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 20 Nov 2002 20:55:52 -0800

> >>Are these books going to be classified material? If there is no
> >>military security involved, requiring US citizenship is most likely
> >>illegal discrimination. There are many highly qualified individuals in
> >>the US who are legally authorized to work and write such a book but
> >>who are not US citizens.
> >>
> >>Of course you can demand sufficient command of the English language,
> >>as well as legal authorization to work.
>
> the law prohibits discrimination based on race, color, religion, sex, or
> national origin. in my opinion, citizenship and national origin are
> separate. maybe the company doesn't have the resources or desire to deal
> with sponsoring employment visas.

Officially Labor Department issued a clarification not so long ago that refusing to hire a person already authorized to work in US (permanent resident, for example) on the basis that person is not a US citizen constitutes discrimination. Courts didn't say their word yet AFAIK.

> those "legally authorized" could potentially write the book from their
> country of citizenship, but the company isn't obligated to entertain
> such offers..

> > I'm more puzzled by this last requirement than the US citizenry one...

This requirement is legally sound. Law doesn't say anything on discrimination on the basis of previous employment.