Distinguish VARCHAR2 from NVARCHAR2 in OCI9

From: Alexander Kuznetsov <Alexander.Kuznetsov_at_marshmc.com>
Date: 13 Nov 2002 10:01:14 -0800

Hi all,
On an Oracle 9i server, I have tables with both VARCHAR2 and NVARCHAR2 columns.
After executing a SELECT statement, I need to determine column names/types etc.
All works fine with one exception: I see no way to tell VARCHAR2 from NVARCHAR2

ub2		nSQLType;
OCIParam*	pParam;

OCIAttrGet((dvoid*) pParam, (ub4)OCI_DTYPE_PARAM, &nSQLType, (ub4*)0,
			OCI_ATTR_DATA_TYPE, m_pErrhp));

will result in nSQLType = SQLT_CHR for either character type. Since US7ASCII data is stored in VARCHAR2 and Unicode data is stored in NVARCHAR2, I need to define the columns differently

Is there a way around? Received on Wed Nov 13 2002 - 19:01:14 CET

Original text of this message