Re: minimal oracle installation

From: Daniel Morgan <dmorgan_at_exesolutions.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Oct 2002 15:07:32 GMT

Jan van Veldhuizen wrote:

> How can I do a minimal installation of Oracle?
> I have version 9i. When I do a standard setup, it takes almost 2Gb!! And a
> database takes 800Mb, and it is still empty!! This is crazy.
> When I start the db server my used memory increases to more than 300Mb...
>
> I am developing an application that uses a SQL2000 database. But I want to
> make it db indepedent, and so it must work on Oracle as well.
>
> What I need is only a simple Oracle database running without all Oracle
> fanfare (i don't want Apache, OLAP, JVM, etc). SqlPlus is enough to run my
> sql scripts.

You can from two different standpoints. One, as Dan Pedersen suggests is to not build the sample database, and build your own so that you can size it as you wish. But that's not going to save you a lot of space.

A better solution is to go through, after the installation, and dump all of the tutorial and template materials that are completely unnecessary. These include the templates Oracle uses to build the sample databases (I think between 400-800MB), everything in directories named DOC, SAMPLE, and those with similar names, all of the WAV, PDF, HTML, AVI, MOV, JPG, GIF, files. etc. And if you do it well you can knock it down to not much larger than an 8i installation.

But just to make sure you don't axe something by mistake. First copy the files to a mirror directory system and leave them there for a week or two.

Daniel Morgan Received on Wed Oct 23 2002 - 17:07:32 CEST

Original text of this message