Re: On Unix, How do i find which is the SYSDBA and SYSOPER groups?

From: Alex Ivascu <alex_at_ivascu.comNOSPAM>
Date: Fri, 18 Oct 2002 04:57:36 GMT

segfahlt wrote:
> I have just installed Oracle 9iR2 on my Linux Redhat 8.0 box.
>
> I created 2 groups, like the install said, dba, and oper. During
> the install, i used these two groups as my SYSDBA and SYSOPER.
>
> After the Install, I cannot connect to my database as SYSDBA. I get
> an "insufficient privileges" error.
>
> I reviewed the documents. It appears that I just need to have my account
> have my the SYSDBA(dba) account as a secondary group. I have done that.
>
> I also used the orapwd utility to make sure my password is set correctly.
> That didn't work. I connected as SYSTEM and did the alter user SYS
> identified by <new password>. Still no joy.
>
> I guess now I need to find out which groups my Oracle database is looking at
> for SYSDBA and SYSOPER? I'm sure its in the Data Dictionary somewhere, just
> not sure where.
>
> Anybody got any help?
>
> I'll keep digging.
>
> TIA,
>
> bill

I really don't understand your issue.... sorry. This is what I can tell you.

SYSDBA and SYSOPER ar oracle groups.
dba is an OS/Linux group.

When you install Oracle, you first create two groups, oinstall and dba, then create user oracle (such as useradd oracle -g oinstall -G dba). Connect as oracle. Create your password file either as orapw (if shared) or orapwsidname ( if exclusive). Install your server and create a new database. Once connect to oracle, and database successfully installed, you can query the v$pwfile_users view which will tell you which users are part of the SYSDBA and SYSOPER groups (default SYS).

So... at this point only oracle can connect as / to the database. If you want another user to connect as /, you must add that user to the dba group. Hope this helps some, and not confused you more....

Respectfully,

--
Alex Ivascu