Re: On Unix, How do i find which is the SYSDBA and SYSOPER groups?

From: segfahlt <segfahlt_at_longboys.net>
Date: Fri, 18 Oct 2002 10:45:51 -0700

Hi Alex,
Thanks for the reply.

Alex Ivascu wrote:

> segfahlt wrote:

>> I have just installed Oracle 9iR2 on my Linux Redhat 8.0 box.
>>
>> I created 2 groups, like the install said, dba, and oper. During
>> the install, i used these two groups as my SYSDBA and SYSOPER.
>>
>> After the Install, I cannot connect to my database as SYSDBA. I get
>> an "insufficient privileges" error.
>>
>> I reviewed the documents. It appears that I just need to have my account
>> have my the SYSDBA(dba) account as a secondary group. I have done that.
>>
>> I also used the orapwd utility to make sure my password is set correctly.
>> That didn't work. I connected as SYSTEM and did the alter user SYS
>> identified by <new password>. Still no joy.
>>
>> I guess now I need to find out which groups my Oracle database is looking
>> at for SYSDBA and SYSOPER? I'm sure its in the Data Dictionary somewhere,
>> just not sure where.
>>
>> Anybody got any help?
>>
>> I'll keep digging.
>>
>> TIA,
>>
>> bill
>
> I really don't understand your issue.... sorry.  This is what I can tell
> you.
>
> SYSDBA and SYSOPER ar oracle groups.
> dba is an OS/Linux group.
>
> When you install Oracle, you first create two groups, oinstall and dba,
> then create user oracle (such as useradd oracle -g oinstall -G dba).
> Connect as oracle.  Create your password file either as orapw (if
> shared) or orapwsidname ( if exclusive).  Install your server and create
> a new database.  Once connect to oracle, and database successfully
> installed, you can query the v$pwfile_users view which will tell you
> which users are part of the SYSDBA and SYSOPER groups (default SYS).

I created two groups, dba and oper. I added my Oracle user(oinstall) to these groups(he can successfully newgrp to dba and oper). I can connect to oracle okay just using the system login and not connecting as SYSDBA. When I query the v$pwfile_users, its empty.

Should I recreate my database you think?

When i try to connect to oracle using sys as SYSDBA, i get an insufficient privileges error.

After numerous queries into the data dictionary, I was unable to determine which table the v$pwfile_users is actually going against. I was going to just manually insert my 'SYS', 'TRUE', 'TRUE' into the table. Any ideas if that will work?

thanks.

bill Received on Fri Oct 18 2002 - 19:45:51 CEST

Original text of this message