Re: Help ... NVarchar2 Question

From: Jusung Yang <JusungYang_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 15 Oct 2002 23:09:15 -0700

The quick answer is yes. Though if your database character set is of unicode, such as UTF8, you don't really need NVARCHAR2 or NCHAR to store unicode characters. I would recommend looking at the whole picture of your application and decide what to go with. How to get the multi-language data into the database, how to store it, how to process it, what data types and precision you are going to use in your stored procedures, how to present it to the users, are there going to be problems with differnet linguestic version of the OS. It is very, very complex. Column data type is just a small piece of it. In many companies internationalization of a product is the sole focus of a whole group or deparment. Typically they work with the core developers and DBA on the design and testing. So, basically, think global and read more on the multi-language issues.