Re: Migrate Oracle 7 database to Oracle 8

From: Justin Cave <jocave_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 2 Oct 2002 15:57:04 -0700

mfaine_at_knology.net (Mark) wrote in message news:<329dd608.0210020837.14ecff97_at_posting.google.com>...
> I have a very old database that I have recently received responsibility for
> migrating to Oracle 8.

It sounds like you're not really migrating a database from Oracle7 to Oracle8. You're trying to move the data from one database design (that happens to reside on Oracle7) to another database design (that happens to reside on Oracle8). Is that correct?

> I have designed a better database (not yet implemented just in design phase)
> and now I'm wondering what would be the best way to migrate the old data
> over. I'm looking for the fastest and simplest approach. I understand my
> options to be a SQL script, a JDBC program, a SQLJ program or the
> equivalent in some other programming language. I'm sure there must also be
> other ways that I'm not aware of yet.

So you want to accomplish two separate things. You want the data to be moved to the new database and you want the old tables to be merged into the new tables. Moving the data from one database to another is pretty simple. With exp and imp to export the tables from the Oracle7 and bring them intact into the Oracle8 database. That would leave you with perfect copies of the old tables in the new database.

Migrating the data from the old tables to the new tables will be the hard part, since you'll have to write lots of logic yourself. Straight SQL is probably the fastest method, particularly if we're talking a lot of data. I'd tend to recommend using whatever tools/languages you're familiar with, since you're going to be spending lots more time writing the logic than you will running it.

Justin Cave Received on Thu Oct 03 2002 - 00:57:04 CEST

Original text of this message