Re: Start Oracle Database Automatically

From: Arielle Smith <smithari_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 6 Sep 2002 22:31:24 -0700

sjallad_at_Autosmartcard.com (Beavis) wrote in message news:<2e1f010a.0209061028.1cb398cc_at_posting.google.com>...
> I have an Oracle8i for windows installed on windows 2000 server. The
> former DBA left, and I'm trying to solve something. Here is my
> problem:
> The previous DBA has setup the database to start ONLY when I login to
> the Win2K server using a local user name and password for that server.
> In other words, I have to login physically to the server using local
> user name: "username" and password: "password", then I have to start
> the database manually going into command line and connecting to the
> server manager and issue the "STARTUP" command.
> I'm trying to change the password for the local NT user to something
> else. I changed the password, and I also updated the password for all
> Oracle services in the windows services tool, rebooted the machine,
> but was unable to start the Oracle database through the command line.
> It seems to me that the NT password was placed some where else where
> the Oracle database is looking at.
>
> What I'm looking for is how to successfully change the password, and
> also automate the database startup to start as soon as the machine is
> rebooted, so I don't have to go to the command line each time and
> start the database.
>
> Thanks

Hello;

In order to have it start up and shut down automatically on WIN2k, do the following:
1. Right-click My Computer, go to Properties, Advanced tab, Environment Variables button, and, under System Variables in the bottom half, click New. Enter "oracle_sid" for the Variable Name and your SID (found in the tnsnames file, etc.) for the Variable Value. OK it all back to the desktop.
2. Run regedt32 and locate your Oracle Home key (HKLM\Software\Oracle\Home1 on my machine but probably slightly different on your install. Let me know if you need help locating it.) and click Edit | Add Value. Name the value "ORA_(SID)_PFILE" and select REG_SZ as the data type. Double-click the new value and enter the path and name of your init.ora file. Check to make sure you already have the following values under your Home key also or add them (can't remember if they are created by default):

ORA_(SID)_AUTOSHUTDOWN = TRUE (REG_EXPAND_SZ)
ORA_(SID)_SHUTDOWN = TRUE (REG_EXPAND_SZ)
ORA_(SID)_SHUTDOWN_TIMEOUT = 30 (REG_EXPAND_SZ)
ORA_(SID)_SHUTDOWNTYPE = i (REG_EXPAND_SZ)

This is how I set mine up. You can make some modifications if you need to. Regarding the problem starting the database after the password change, what type of error message do you get? I have all my Oracle services set to use the System account. It's not a permissions thing is it? Good luck. Received on Sat Sep 07 2002 - 07:31:24 CEST

Original text of this message