Re: How to protect from making copies of database?

From: Rauf Sarwar <rs_arwar_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 5 Sep 2002 15:01:24 -0700

chagla_at_infotech.stph.net (Chagla) wrote in message news:<26a64672.0209050020.487c315d_at_posting.google.com>...
> Hi,
>
> Look at this scenario:
>
> I'm an owner of some data stored in Oracle that is of
> some value. I would like to sell this data.
>
> How can I safeguard my "valuable" data stored in Oracle
> from being copied or redistributed by a valid user?
>
> That is...
> I sell the data to one user, how can I ensure that the
> buyer of the data can not make copies(even
> Programatically !) of this data and redistribute it(along
> with all the paswwords & permissions,orginally meant for
> him)?
>
> If there is a solution, can it be extended to other
> databases too?(sqlserver,MS Access)
>
> Regards,
>

> Chagla

If you are talking about code...i.e. stored procedures etc... they can be wrapped and thus hidden.
If you want to protect data then you have to shutdown your instance because anyone *valid or invalid* who can *access* the data via any interface can spool it to a file etc. I don't know how you can protect it without some kind of copyright or something.

//Rauf Sarwar Received on Fri Sep 06 2002 - 00:01:24 CEST

Original text of this message