Re: Schema installation tools

From: Andrew Allen <ajallen_at_mailhost.det.ameritech.net>
Date: Wed, 04 Sep 2002 23:07:32 GMT

Pasi Parkkonen wrote:

> "Andrew Allen" <ajallen_at_mailhost.det.ameritech.net> wrote in message
> > Pasi Parkkonen wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi!
> > >
> > > I'm wondering what tools you use for generating scripts
> > > from your database. I need to do customer installations
> > > into bigger Oracle servers, so I will need good scripts.
> > >
> > > I have used Toad & my own script generators
> > > (SQL*Plus scripts) but they both have problems..
> > > Toad makes errors and well.. SQL*Plus ain't perfect... ;)

> > Try doing a full export setting the parameter ROWS=N. This will get
> > you everything except the data.
>
> It is possible I could use export in some cases, yes.
>
> I really want to get the database & data creation into real SQL DDL & DML.

If you do the export as I have written then do an import with the INDEXFILE=<somefile.sql>
the import utility will generate the sql for you -- all but the index definitions will be commented out with REM. It is then a simple matter to remove those comment markers and you have it.

As for the create database sql, run the Oracle database creation assistant and use the option to generate the scripts. Put it all together and you have it.

--
Andrew Allen
Livonia, MI