Oracle - ASP - ADO Problems

From: Bryan <bryr1997_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 27 Aug 2002 08:45:19 -0700

Goal: Connect to remote oracle server through ASP pages using OraOLEDB provider through ADODB objects. (For INSERT INTO sql statement)

Current Code: (as VBscript)
Dim theConn
set theConn = server.CreateObject ("ADODB.Connection") theConn.ConnectionString = "Provider=OraOLEDB.Oracle.1;" & _

               "Data Source=track;UserID=*****;password=*****"" theConn.Open
…
addStr="INSERT INTO *** (***, POSDATE) VALUES" & _

             "(***,TO_DATE('" & date & "','MM/DD/YY'))" theConn.Execute addStr

History:
-Oracle 9.2 installed (& reinstalled)
-MDAC 2.0, 2.1, 2.5, 2.6, 2.7 installed
-IIS 5.0 installed (& reinstalled)
-Microsoft Visual Studio 6.0 Professional installed
-Windows 2000 OS
-When writing connections in compiled code, through INI files (using
compiled code), or through Oracle connection tools (such as SQL*NET or TOAD) all work fine.

Current Errors:
-At first it kept giving a "Provider not found" error even though the
provider was used identically in the compiled code version and worked fine. Eventually we put the IUSR_PC*** account as an administrator privileges (even though my default account has admin privileges) and this error seems to have gone away.
-The majority of the time after the user submits the info to be
written, the ASP page seems to hang, continually loading. If I hit stop and refresh it says "The remote procedure call failed and did not execute." (Note: the syntax is a simple INSERT INTO sql statement)
-One time (right after rebooting my computer) it worked for 2 times
in a row (I double checked and the info WAS added to the oracle database). However after that it started giving a "OraOLEDB (0x80004005) ORA-00604: error occurred at recursive SQL level 1 ORA-12705: invalid or unknown NLS parameter value specified" every time I tried accessing it. (Note: I don't have any NLS parameters in the ASP code)
-Currently, the ASP pages cycle between working (5-10% of the time),
NLS error (10-25% of the time), and hanging (majority of the time).

(I have other ASP pages which connect to the same oracle database but do some more explicit operations and these pages show the same behavior as described here)

Any help on what to check/set, uninstall/reinstall, or where else to look is appreciated! Received on Tue Aug 27 2002 - 17:45:19 CEST

Original text of this message