Re: Database Refresh Procedure

From: Rauf Sarwar <rs_arwar_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 15 Aug 2002 20:37:58 -0700

John Bossert <jbossert_at_usa.net> wrote in message news:<3D5BCD7A.7010702_at_usa.net>...
> I need to frequently refresh my development and staging databases with
> production data. If anyone has a script to do this, I'd appreciate a pointer.
>
> Alternatively, I believe I could just write a script that:
>
> 1) disables constraints (on target DB)
> 2) truncates the tables (on target DB)
> 3) imports the source data (to target DB, from source DB)
> 4) enables constraints (on target DB)
>
> Am I leaving out anything obvious? Thanks.

If everything is sitting on the same platform and you can afford a slice of time to shutdown your production instance, then why not just clone the database.

1) Shutdown production
2) Copy datafiles to Dev and staging
3) start production
4) Recreate new control files for dev and staging.

Regards
/Rauf Sarwar Received on Fri Aug 16 2002 - 05:37:58 CEST

Original text of this message