Re: Metadata

From: Rauf Sarwar <rs_arwar_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 11 Aug 2002 19:23:29 -0700

"Chris Blair" <someone_at_nowhere.com> wrote in message news:<3d529bb3$1_at_news.starhub.net.sg>...
> What is the "best" method for getting complete metadata from a Oracle
> (8,8i,9i) database. When I say "complete" I mean not only the objects, but
> the defintions of the objects (especially in the case of procedures,
> functions, triggers and views - what was the SQL code used to create them).
>
> MS SQL Server uses system tables that contains all of this information. But
> from what I can read of the Oracle catalog views, the defintion of much of
> the metadata is missing.
>
> Appreciate your advice. (Please reply to the newsgroup as my email address
> is false to avoid SPAM).
>
> -- Chris

If you want to have Oracle behave like a SQL Server, then you will definitely struggle with it. Oracle's Data dictionary contains all the metadata you are looking for. You just have to look into the right data dictionary view.

Visit http://download-west.oracle.com/otndoc/oracle9i/901_doc/index.htm

HTH
//Rauf Sarwar Received on Mon Aug 12 2002 - 04:23:29 CEST

Original text of this message