Re: Problems with retrieving old Database

From: Rauf Sarwar <rs_arwar_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 11 Aug 2002 19:11:10 -0700

gc150_at_ureach.com (Gloria) wrote in message news:<2a7703c1.0208081410.18e71d68_at_posting.google.com>...
> I have Oracle 8.1.7 installed on RedHat 7.2. I had Oracle running,
> created a user, some tables, and was able to access it through some
> perl scripts.
>
> I was curious if I could have two database running at the same time so
> I used dbassist and created another database.
>
> Once this was created I tried to connect to the old database but I got
> some connection problems. I ran ps -ef and found that my old database
> processes were gone. So I went to SVRMGRL and shutdown the new
> database, and tried to start the old one.
>
> and got this error:
>
> SVRMGR> startup
> LRM-00109: could not open parameter file 'dbs/init%ORACLE_SID%.ora'
> ORA-01078: failure in processing system parameters
>
> I looked for the init file and the old one was gone so I copied the
> new one and changed some parameters, and ran startup again.
>
> it worked but i got another error:
>
> SVRMGR> startup
> ORACLE instance started.
> ORA-01990: error opening password file 'dbs/orapw'
>
> I then used the orapwd command and created a new password file.
>
> and the database started up.
>
> but when i logged in all my old settings and tables are no longer
> there.
>
> Can I get them back? Thanks in advance.

In order to have svrmgrl recognize which instance you are trying to connect to, you have to set ORACLE_SID variable before you launch server manager. e.g.

$ ORACLE_SID=YourSid export ORACLE_SID
$ svrmgrl
$ SVRMGR> connect internal/password

If you had properly set your variable, you would not have had to jump thru all the hoops.

HTH
//Rauf Sarwar Received on Mon Aug 12 2002 - 04:11:10 CEST

Original text of this message