Re: System Crash, how to restore database?

From: Karen Abgarian <abvk_at_ureach.com>
Date: Fri, 09 Aug 2002 05:20:12 GMT

It is not clear what exactly was lost. The confusing thing is existing files.

If the box crashed but oracle files were not damaged you can simply start the database.
This is called instance recovery - not this, but what oracle needs to do to recover.

If something was damaged, then there is a lot of recovery options depending on your
particular situation. Recovery techniques are something that you should well understand
to be successful. I recommend Rama Velpuri's book, it has both recovery scenarios and
recovery concepts.