Need advice on best format to store raw article content

From: Daniel Chance <zedania_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 13 Jun 2002 10:30:51 -0700

I am wondering what the best way is to store content that you know could be used for other applications in the future or partner web sites. Imagine that you have some articles, all of them have standard formatting applied such as bold, italics, and bullets. Nothing complex or involving tables, just the most basic formatting. Now, I've stripped away as much HTML as possible so that I just have the basic tags left and the raw content. Is this the correct way to do it? Also, what's the best way to represent special characters (such as m-dash), should I use the HTML code for that? or should I just stick with XML or XHTML for everything? There must be some best practices out there for this sort of thing.

Here is an example of a chunk of content from an article that is stored in a table field, notice the formatting that I have used:

Is this the right way to go or should I be doing something differently?

TIA
Daniel Received on Thu Jun 13 2002 - 19:30:51 CEST

Original text of this message