Re: sorry but Oracle v SQLServer again

From: Daniel Morgan <dmorgan_at_exesolutions.com>
Date: Fri, 07 Jun 2002 21:01:13 GMT

Jerason Banes wrote:

> In general, I would agree with you that Oracle shouldn't need much tweaking
> after set up, if it is set up correctly. However, experience has shown me
> that it's rarely that easy. A lot of the time, it's the first time they've
> set up something as big as Oracle. Other times, they underestimate (or
> overestimate) the database size and usage. The result is that these
> departments often find themselves tweaking Oracle to a degree that probably
> isn't necessary. The obvious solution, hire an Oracle professional, isn't
> always an option for small to medium projects. Sometimes a consultant for
> initial setup works, but often the IS dept. still ends up tweaking the
> system.
>
> So that's pretty much why I shy away from Oracle in these situations. It's
> kind of like throwing a new Unix user into a system like Solaris (which
> requires a great deal of initial tuning and setup) instead of getting their
> feet wet first with something simpler such as FreeBSD (which often does the
> job more than adequately in small system situations).
>
> Jerason Banes
>
> --
> ___________________________________
> Need a good Database management solution?
> http://java.dnsalias.com
>
> > I would disagree on one point you make ... I don't think Oracle, to use
 your
> > words, requires a great deal of maintenance. It certainly allows a
 competent DBA
> > to tune the system to near perfection. But if demands are not heavy and
 hard
> > disk capacity sufficient a properly installed and configured Oracle system
 can
> > easily go a year without needing anything more than an occassional user to
 keep
> > it company.
> >
> > Daniel Morgan

Perhaps it is time for someone to start a company that shares out senior Oracle DBAs.

A decent DBA can easily handle 10-20 production boxes ... why not have 10-20 companies share the expense of one person ... and pay that person enough that it is well worth their while. Lets see 20 x $25K/yr = a decent wage. And what company that needs Oracle can't afford $25K? And what expert DBA would turn down $500K/yr?

Daniel Morgan Received on Fri Jun 07 2002 - 23:01:13 CEST

Original text of this message