Re: sorry but Oracle v SQLServer again

From: Jerason Banes <jbanes_at_techie.com>
Date: Fri, 07 Jun 2002 20:53:16 GMT

In general, I would agree with you that Oracle shouldn't need much tweaking after set up, if it is set up correctly. However, experience has shown me that it's rarely that easy. A lot of the time, it's the first time they've set up something as big as Oracle. Other times, they underestimate (or overestimate) the database size and usage. The result is that these departments often find themselves tweaking Oracle to a degree that probably isn't necessary. The obvious solution, hire an Oracle professional, isn't always an option for small to medium projects. Sometimes a consultant for initial setup works, but often the IS dept. still ends up tweaking the system.

So that's pretty much why I shy away from Oracle in these situations. It's kind of like throwing a new Unix user into a system like Solaris (which requires a great deal of initial tuning and setup) instead of getting their feet wet first with something simpler such as FreeBSD (which often does the job more than adequately in small system situations).

Jerason Banes

--
Need a good Database management solution?