Re: Starting Career as an Oracle DBA

From: Boaz Laufer <lauferb_at_adit-tec.com>
Date: 1 Jun 2002 07:34:09 -0700

dumisani_at_yahoo.com (ViRusAttack) wrote in message news:<874d9b09.0205270705.76abc5c7_at_posting.google.com>...
> Hello Everyone
>
> I am planning to pursue a career as an oracle dba, can someone guide
> me on the following.
>
> 1.What courses should I take, how long are the courses and where do I
> begin?
> 2.For certification, how many tests do I write and is this difficult?
> 3.Is there a major demand for Oracle DBA's?
> 4.How much is it for the whole package, including certification?
>
> If anyone can guide me on the right direction I would deeply
> appreciate it.
>
> Regards
>
> Jack

There are good DBA's and there are bad ones and there are geniuses too!

My experience as DBA'ing (and I have a lot of it! like 4 years that come after 4 years of being a programmer). showed me that 90% of DBA'ing, especially Production DBAs dont need to know pl/sql at all. All it takes to know how to maintain the database, this job is more or less like system administrator's job and it's really not that hard! You just have to know a lot of stuff, starting with the architecture of Oracle, installing databases, SQL (you need to be an expert in SQL no question about it! with all the tricks and such..), and a little bit of System (like Unix / NT...), and than you need to get some experience, at least 1 or 2 years and than it's not going to be a problem to find a good job, the question is: Who will give you the first chance? like who will be willing to except you to the first job without experience?

My suggestion to you it this: If you dont have experience as programmer or dont have a B.Sc in Computers or such, you'll have to accept the fact the at the first year or too your wage is going to be really low!
But dont worry, after some time when you'll have the experience it'll double or tripple itself.

All of this is of course after studying Oracle! Like in a professional course or just open the books (they are thick ones!).

Regards,
Boaz.

Boaz Laufer
Oracle DBA and Consultant.