Re: Oracle 9i / Linux install Help Please

From: bob <robert.d.freel_at_lmco.com>
Date: 20 May 2002 16:20:22 -0700

"Steven Webb" <Swebb999_at_btopenworld.com> wrote in message news:<ac99r5$f87$1_at_paris.btinternet.com>...
> I've been looking into it a bit more and noticed the install wasn't creating
> a tnsnames files !!!! Im not an oracle guru so not a clue why this maybe.
> Anyway I editted my .bash_profile and set the TNS variable to point to the
> /opt/oracle/product/9.0.1/network/admin directory and everything went fine
> in the install !!! I also noticed that the tnsnames file was there. I now
> need to check out why after install the listener seems to give me errors.
> Now I know a little more I can check the details in the config files till I
> get it right.
>
> As for my box its got 640mg memory and 1.2gig swap. I tried suse on it and
> oracle installed fine apart from some apache issues, but in the end I just
> found SUSE and bit of a pain because all of the software on the web comes in
> rpm's for redhat and I got fed up of compiling stuff for suse.
>
> --
>
> "Pete Sharman" <peter.sharman_at_oracle.com> wrote in message
> > In article <3ce7dda2$1_19_at_news.onlynews.com>, "Jon says...
> > >
> > >8i asks you if you want to run the 'optional' utlities during the
> > >installation. DON'T! Run them by hand after the install works
> > >It seems tbe universal installer is not very good at spawning other java
> > >apps and it hangs a lot in attempting to run dbca while universal
 installer
> > >is already running.
> > >
> > >You could use suse 7.x, and oracle 9i. Suse Linux is Oracle's supported
> > >platform for 9i. (I guess they are mad at RedHat- who knows) Suse has an
> > >excellent oracle guide (http://www.suse.com/us/support/oracle/index.html)
> > >that walks you through the users/groups/directories/ etc. No hunting
 around
> > >on the web -it's all right there.
> > >
> > >If you do go to 9i, it asks if you want to create a database during the
> > >install - DON'T! Same problem as above...
> > >

> > >JON
> > >

> > Must be a configuration issue. I've run the DBCA from the installer with
 every
> > install since 9.0 release 10 (alpha code) and not had any problems with
 it. Of
> > course, I'm installing clean each time (you can't generally migrate alpha
 code
> > from one release to another so you deinstall it first) and I have a PC
 with 512
> > Mb or a Solaris box with about the same.
> >
> > Oh, and I don't think there's an issue with RedHat. I believe there's
 been a
> > RedHat release of 9i for quite some time.
> >

> > >"Steven Webb" <Swebb999_at_btopenworld.com> wrote in message

> the
> end

> > HTH. Additions and corrections welcome.
> >
> > Pete
> >
> > SELECT standard_disclaimer, witty_remark FROM company_requirements;

Oracle 9i is certified to run with Redhat 7.2 last time I checked. They support both suse and redhat. I've installed 9i with redhat 7.3 with few problems. The dbca needs a little more work to run custom scripts, but it worked out well. Glad you figured out your problem. -bob Received on Tue May 21 2002 - 01:20:22 CEST

Original text of this message