Replication using DML

From: Mahmudul Islam <mislam_at_cegisbd.com>
Date: 8 May 2002 01:22:44 -0700

We have a database at two locations. Some of the tables are updated at Site1 and a different set of tables are updated at Site2. But all the tables are accessed for reporting at both sites. The databases have to be synchronized. We cannot use Oracle Replication because the sites are 30 km apart and cannot be connected (due to resource constraints). Both the sites have to be updated 2/3 times per day.

We are planning the following strategy for data update - The transactions (only the INSERT, UPDATE & DELETE) at Site1 and Site2 will be logged in text files. When an update is needed - The Site1.txt table will be taken to Site2 and run against the database, and the Site2.txt will be run in Site1. At this point both the sites will be synchronized upto a point.

We need suggestions about this strategy. Pls help, because, we have to start running the database very soon. Received on Wed May 08 2002 - 10:22:44 CEST

Original text of this message