Re: help - changing all dates in database??

From: Frank <fbortel_at_home.nl>
Date: Fri, 03 May 2002 21:47:23 +0200

Daniel Morgan wrote:

<snip>

> First finding all of the data columns.
>
> SELECT table_name, column_name
> FROM user_tab_columns -- or all_tab_columns
> WHERE data_type = 'DATE';

Huuuh! Scary! If you have ever doen a Y2K conversion, you would also want to check on all columns with a name like %DAT% - or even DT..
I've seen too many systems - even recently built Oracle ones- that have number or character columns to store dates....

> To inspect the columns
>
> SELECT DISTINCT(TRUNC(date_column_name))
> FROM table_name
> ORDER BY TRUNC(date_column_name);
>
> But this really smells of being a class project as no one, for any reason I can
> conceive, would make the request you indicate.

Hmmm. Might be right. Now, should I not send this?

> Daniel Morgan

I did! Frank Received on Fri May 03 2002 - 21:47:23 CEST

Original text of this message