Re: ORA-01722 and Oracle version problem?

From: Frank <fbortel_at_home.nl>
Date: Fri, 03 May 2002 22:19:32 +0200

Roar Renton wrote:

> Hei.
>
> I am quite new to Oracle, and I have problems getting an application
> to work with Oracle 9i. I have already searched different newsgroups
> and I have noticed that there have been lots of questions about
> ORA-01722 errors and I have
> tried different approaches to get it to work but without luck. Our
> company is rather small so we do not have people that are good at
> these things, that is why I tried to do it myself.
>
> We have Oracle 9i installed on a server, and we use Oracle 9i client
> to connect to it. Earlier we were using the same application with
> Personal Oracle 8 and it worked fine, but now only certain parts of
> the program works.
>
> I do not know exactly what is needed to answer this problem, but here
> are the nls-settings on this machine (the client):
>
> PARAMETER VALUE
> ------------------------------
> NLS_LANGUAGE NORWEGIAN
> NLS_TERRITORY NORWAY
> NLS_CURRENCY Kr.
> NLS_ISO_CURRENCY NORWAY
> NLS_NUMERIC_CHARACTERS ,.
> NLS_CALENDAR GREGORIAN
> NLS_DATE_FORMAT DD.MM.RRRR
> NLS_DATE_LANGUAGE NORWEGIAN
> NLS_SORT NORWEGIAN
> NLS_TIME_FORMAT HH24.MI.SSXFF
> NLS_TIMESTAMP_FORMAT DD.MM.RRRR HH24.MI.SSXFF
>
> PARAMETER VALUE
> ------------------------------
> NLS_TIME_TZ_FORMAT HH24.MI.SSXFF TZR
> NLS_TIMESTAMP_TZ_FORMAT DD.MM.RRRR HH24.MI.SSXFF TZR
> NLS_DUAL_CURRENCY Kr.
> NLS_COMP BINARY
> NLS_LENGTH_SEMANTICS BYTE
> NLS_NCHAR_CONV_EXCP FALSE
>
> The character settings on the server are the same as on the client.
>
> The settings on the database (I write select * from
> nls_database_parameters) are:
>
> PARAMETER VALUE
> ------------------------------ ----------------------------------
> NLS_LANGUAGE AMERICAN
> NLS_TERRITORY AMERICA
> NLS_CURRENCY $
> NLS_ISO_CURRENCY AMERICA
> NLS_NUMERIC_CHARACTERS .,
> NLS_CHARACTERSET WE8MSWIN1252
> NLS_CALENDAR GREGORIAN
> NLS_DATE_FORMAT DD-MON-RR
> NLS_DATE_LANGUAGE AMERICAN
> NLS_SORT BINARY
> NLS_TIME_FORMAT HH.MI.SSXFF AM
>
> PARAMETER VALUE
> ------------------------------ ----------------------------------
> NLS_TIMESTAMP_FORMAT DD-MON-RR HH.MI.SSXFF AM
> NLS_TIME_TZ_FORMAT HH.MI.SSXFF AM TZR
> NLS_TIMESTAMP_TZ_FORMAT DD-MON-RR HH.MI.SSXFF AM TZR
> NLS_DUAL_CURRENCY $
> NLS_COMP BINARY
> NLS_LENGTH_SEMANTICS BYTE
> NLS_NCHAR_CONV_EXCP FALSE
> NLS_NCHAR_CHARACTERSET AL16UTF16
> NLS_RDBMS_VERSION 9.0.1.1.1
>
> I used one of the database templates to make the database and used sql
> scripts provided by the program developers to generate the tables.
>
> I have tried the following:

> [...]

Change nls_numeric_characters to be the same on both sides (preferably to ., - the current server settings), then retry. It may not the satisfactory, but if that setting works, start talking to your application vendor.
Retry with ,. on BOTH sides.

Hth Frank Received on Fri May 03 2002 - 22:19:32 CEST

Original text of this message