Sql, ODBC, and Oracle...

From: Mike Robinson <mrobinson_at_statware.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2002 17:38:34 -0700

Hi all,
Please forgive me and redirect if this is not the correct place to post this question. I have an app that provides connection to a number of different databases via ODBC. The app uses Microsoft SQLxxx... functions to gather various information depending on what it may want to do. One of the things it does is display column names when selecting a table. To do this the function SQLColumns is used and this works fine for all but Oracle databases.

When connecting to an Oracle database, this function returns duplicate rows for each column. In other words, you pass a handle to a query and the function modifies the query and uses it to create a table which you can then get information from by using SQLFetch to return a row from this table and SQLGetData to return specific information (in this case, column name, data type, etc...). There is no way to view the query being created, the table the query returns, or to step into the function to see what it does. When viewing these same Oracle tables in Excel or using SQL+ to query the column names, the correct information is returned. Again, this seems to be a problem only with Oracle databases, hence the posting here. Databases that don't exhibit this behavior include Access, Sybase, Informix and Sql server.

If anyone has any information on what may be causing this or any ideas on where I can find information about this, I would be grateful if you posted here. TIA,

-mike (frustrated windows C++ programmer with no database exp) Received on Wed Apr 24 2002 - 02:38:34 CEST

Original text of this message