Re: Multiple table with the same primary key (design issue)

From: news <x_at_y.com>
Date: Wed, 03 Apr 2002 21:30:57 GMT

Where does he mention the volume of data? Partitioning is a great idea when you have many records. I do not believe it will speed anything up if you have many columns. When you partition, you basically tell oracle to store the many records into "virtual tables". You can say, records with user_id 1 through 1,000,000 in partition a, 1, 000, 001 through 2,000,000 in partition b and so on. I am not aware of any partitioning scheme which will allow multiple columns to be spread across partitions. If there is a partitioning scheme in oracle that allows that, please let me know. Don't bother with partitions unless you have a large volume of data.

John