Re: Novice question -- how to I run script in unix sqlplus?

From: BEDick <bdick_at_cox.net>
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2002 02:01:47 GMT

"D. Alvarado" <laredotornado_at_zipmail.com> wrote in message news:9fe1f2ad.0203131359.70938f5b_at_posting.google.com...
> $ . oraenv

This script sets the Oracle environment variables. It does not run sqlplus.

> ORACLE_SID = [817] ? sqlplus user/password_at_db

This prompt is asking which instance (SID) of Oracle you want to access. Development machines tend to run multiple instances. Production machines should run one.

> ORACLE_HOME = [/oracle] ? Here I'm stuck, nothing I types works.

This prompt is asking where your Oracle binaries, parameter files, etc. are installed.

Once you have the two prompts above correctly set you should be able to run sqlplus.

$sqlplus user/password

Except for OS command line parsing differences, the sqlplus command doesn't change across platforms. Although, I have never been impressed by the oraenv source scripts I've seen. They all needed some tweaking.

--
Later,
BEDick