Re: Find most recent rows, generically?

From: Jim Kennedy <kennedy-family_at_attbi.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2002 00:10:14 GMT

There are sequences in Oracle and you could store them as integers, numbers, strings, but there is not a column type of identity. That is you cannot look at the column type and determine that it is a sequence. Sequences are nice because if I have a table with a bunch of child tables I can insert a record in the parent and then use that value (mySequence.currentval ) for the related keys in the child tables.

If you need to know what the most recent rows are I think a date column is a much better use. Then you could know when. You might be interested in how many rows are generated per day which a sequence won't tell you. Jim