Re: Redo/Transaction Log

From: Dave Michaud <treschaud_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 19 Jan 2002 15:50:52 -0800

Redo logs are a fixed size. Oracle alternates between a minimum of two redo logs. When one fills, it changes to the next one and archives the full one automatically and so on. You can force a log switch at any time with Alter system switch logfile; but this won't save you any space. If the archived logs are being stored on the same disk, that could be taking your extra space. Select * from V$parameter where name = 'archive_log_dest%'; to check for the location of the archived logs. Your tablespaces may be set to autoextend (Bad Idea for a production database) Once an object takes space it doesn't give it up without a fight. You might need to move data to another table then truncate the table and move it back to reclaim the space. Only truncating a table resets it's high water mark.

Hope this helps.

Dave