Re: for school: Oracle9i + what OS = most stable + best performance?

From: Frank van Bortel <fbortel_at_home.nl>
Date: Mon, 24 Dec 2001 20:11:16 +0100

Maarten Volders aKa ShadowDancer wrote:

> Hi,
> I'm a Belgium inf. student, in a few months a have to start with a work
> including Java, Oracle, websphere, ... . Now I'm going to have to install
> Oracle9i on my omputer, but I don't have any experience with this, so I'm
> wondering on what OS I should install this, Win2k, Linux, ... what has the
> best performance, or is the most stable.
>
> By the way, has anyone had some experience installing Oracle9i on WinXP or
> stands XP just for eXtra Problems???
>
> Thx
>
> Maarten

An IBM 43xx mainframe running 1024 parallel Linuxes would be a good performer and is quite stable. A 32 processor IBM S80 runs quite nice, too. Sun UltraSparc w/24 processors, etc, ect. Altho an answer to your question, probably not an answer you can use. Are you limited to h/w, if so what? Do you have a choice, if so what? You have been posting a lot on installation problems with XP, are you running on that? If so, why pose the question?

Performance wise: Linux. Not because I just loathe M$, but it allows you to create a bare-bones machine with just the kernel options to run databases
to an optimum on the given hardware. No fuzz, no extra services you don't need,
but do cost performance, etc.
Guess any *nix can do that, but not familar with that (never heard an AIX
guy say he was rebuilding the kernel)

Guess XP and Oracle don't mix too well on this moment (which is synonym for: not certified)
SuSE is quite good in Oracle support, and was the first 2B certified with
9i. SuSE will cost you about €30 for 7 CD's, 1 DVD, and a bunch of manuals.

--
Gtrz,

Frank van Bortel