How to recover memory from killed sessions in Oracle

From: Cristian S. <cs277_at_columbia.edu>
Date: 3 Dec 2001 13:22:12 -0800

Here's the problem that I'm having: we have some users who connect through TOAD to Oracle and run queries. If they run a SELECT query that joins many tables and returns results, TOAD will keep that statement object for as long as the users have the results in their data grids.

Sometimes users just close TOAD without properly closing the connection first. That will leave their sessions in oracle still running and in addition, all the memory used by that join will still be used and not returned to the large pool.

I try to kill those orphan sessions in oracle. They are killed but they still hold on to the memory they once used and they won't release it back to the large pool.

How can I reclaim memory from killed sessions in Oracle?

Or on a different note, if somebody knows, how can I stop TOAD from keeping that resultset open which in turn won't release the memory to oracle until some other statement is run?

Thanks,
Cristian Received on Mon Dec 03 2001 - 22:22:12 CET

Original text of this message