Strange connection error for oracle on solaris

From: Cristian S. <cs277_at_columbia.edu>
Date: 3 Dec 2001 08:00:25 -0800

Hi,

I'm encountering a weird error here. I'm running Oracle 8i on Solaris 8. Recently, after many months of uptime, we had to restart our oracle database. After the restart, we can't connect to the database with sqlplus the way we used to.

Here are the details:
When I try to connect from the solaris machine to the oracle db with sqlplus by typing 'sqlplus system/password' I get the error 'ORA-01034: ORACLE not available'. The ORACLE_SID is definitely set properly for that user - I checked it multiple times and I know it's fine because it never changed from the way it used to work.

The db is definitely up.

If I try to connect using net8 such as 'sqlplus system/password_at_orcl.mydomain.com' that works fine.

Somehow the local connect is messed up. I found a quick post somewhere that said that something must be wrong with the network setup on that box. I'm trying to figure out what changed since last time we had to restart oracle. The only thing I can come up with is that sometime during this interval we stopped using dns on our box (the hosts line in nsswitch.conf is 'hosts files' - no dns). That's the only thing I can come up with.

Does anybody have any idea what's going on here?

Thanks,
Cristian Received on Mon Dec 03 2001 - 17:00:25 CET

Original text of this message