Re: Changing to a new db with same SID

From: Murali <oraclems_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 19 Nov 2001 21:48:14 -0800

pramod_at_rtimes.com (Pramod Ramachandran) wrote in message news:<6616e304.0111150047.4705cd6d_at_posting.google.com>...
> Hi,
>
> I am new to Oracle and here is my question. I have been working with a
> db with a certain SID. Now I need to mount another database
> (preferably with the same SID). The new set of files is offline backup
> pack and contains all the datafiles, control files and online redo
> files except the Init.ora file. (I am not sure if the backup was made
> after shutting down the db. )

Which Operating System are you on ? Do you know the version of Oracle that is running ? Do you know if the second database has the same name as the first one ? You should change the db_name parameter in your init.ora file to point to the correct database name. Depending on your Oracle version, you might have to change the service_name paramter also.

> I have tried with changing the path of the control files in the
> Init.ora but could not succeed. (the db is not mounting, shows error :
> "either in initialization mode or shutdown mode").

An instance cannot mount more than one database at the same time. Make sure your original database (and instance) is shut down (again procedure depends on your OS), change the db_name and control_files paramters in your init.ora file and try starting up. Check the alert log (location and name depends on version and OS) for exact errors (with ORA- numbers).

Murali Received on Tue Nov 20 2001 - 06:48:14 CET

Original text of this message