Batching results from a Multi-table join

From: Peter Donn <subscriber_at_donnfamily.co.uk>
Date: 8 Nov 2001 07:54:53 -0800

Hi

We want to provide functionality similar to the search engines. I.e. from a web page run a multi-join query that returns, e.g. 1,000,000 result rows, then let the user see the first 20. When they press "Next" they see the next 20, etc.

Does anyone know how we could achieve this using Oracle / SQL?

I had one thought: We're using JDBC to access Oracle. Would using the cursor functionality be an appropriate way of achieving this? Would doing this cause the server to be filled up with a huge amount of data whilst I am going the query, or is information retrieved one row at a time in this case.

Any help would be grately appreciated

Cheers
Peter. Received on Thu Nov 08 2001 - 16:54:53 CET

Original text of this message