Re: A data model for a school project - Model the inventory for computer manufacturing process

From: Jim Kennedy <kennedy-family_at_home.com>
Date: Sun, 04 Nov 2001 20:51:21 GMT

These are the types of details that one would ask their client. No really. How does their workflow work? When a shipment from a supplier comes in the packing slip itself doesn't say that the company you have is going to use 7 for computers and 3 for sales. The supplier probably doesn't know (doesn't need to know or care.). The shipping clerk is going to just check in the goods. When the shipping clerk enters the data into the system the shipping clerk does not know what the company is going to do with the goods. Think later when the purchasing agent is trying to run a report on parts and what came in and got used for what.

I know you are in school but don't take an academic approach think about what is going on the system. You may be "wrong" but if you can outline etc what your thought process was and justify it then you should get points for that. IF the prof is only interested in the "right answer" and not how you got to the answer you got then I'm sorry but you picked the wrong prof.

Jim