Re: A data model for a school project - Model the inventory for computer manufacturing process

From: Mechanical Mann <eric_at_REMOVE_SPAMspeco.com>
Date: Mon, 5 Nov 2001 10:43:22 -0600

I wouldn't use separate tables for component items and finished items. Use an allocation system instead.

We're using Baan here.

I don't think our config is too far off of the norm.

We have an item table. This contains item number as prim key and other attributes such as description, sales price etc. Our I tems are of type manufactured or purchased. Manufactured goods have a BOM that defines its its components. Items that are components can be used to make assys or be sold outright.

Baan uses the safety stock qty to make a planned inventory movement. This is an implementation of the classic kanban system. This planned movement would be a production order in the case of mfg goods or a purchase order in the case of purchased items. (We require human intervention here but it could be automated as well)

When a planned production order is confirmed the system makes an allocation of material for all the component items. Allocated components are unavailable to sell. If the allocation to a comfirmed production order reduces the quantity of a component to below the safety stock level MRP will generate a purchase order for the component (or another production order if the component item is a sub assy).

Another way to handle inventory is to move the harddrives into separate warehouses. Such that sales can't see what production has and vice-versa.

But to re-itterate I would not have items residing in 2 tables. The key is the Bill of Materials. Research kanban too. This seems to bee more of an MFE question but it is a good example of data modelling.