Re: Data Migration to Oracle

From: Tony Hunt <tonster_at_bigpond.net.au>
Date: Wed, 03 Oct 2001 09:48:59 GMT

I hate to suggest using a microsoft product but... MS Access is good for linking into both DBase and Oracle tables.

I can't imagine a product that automates this process.....?

So first,

-CREATE TABLEs in Oracle 8 after creating an instance and a user/schema. You will need to create these tables with Foreign Key constraints and any other appropriate constraints.

-Use ODBC from MS Access to link to all DBase and Oracle tables.

-Create an Append query in MS Access on a DBase table. You will be prompted for which table to append to, this will be the Oracle table... Run the query

-Last step is CREATE INDEXes in Oracle after you find the index definitions from DBase.

(Note the first and last step are most easily done from Database Assistant and SQLPlus don't try that stuff using Access!!)

Tony

(I have just done the same thing with a pile of Foxpro tables myself...)