Table-Extents / Performance

From: waltervdv <marcus.kuehl_at_t-online.de>
Date: 11 Sep 2001 02:52:03 -0700

Hallo !

Recently I read in a paper that it's no problem to have tables with many extents in a database
(
http://technet.oracle.com/deploy/availability/pdf/defrag.pdf). My
DBA-Handbook says, it is the best to put the whole table into one extent.

I'm working on a database with no online-transactions - only batch-jobs (inserts and deletes, very few updates). Last week I had to remove the data from some tables. I did that by "delete from table xxxx". It was a hard job, because it took very very long. Afterwords I looked at some tables with the schema-browser of toad. Although the tables where empty it took very long (maybe 20 seconds) for toad to show the table-data-view. The tables had some extents
(maybe 10 - 30).

After I had done a "truncate table xxx drop storage" the access-speed to these tables was "normal" again (1 - 2 seconds). I think this is because the tables had only one extent left after the truncate statement.
So why can anybody say that the number of extents is not important for performance ?

Any Ideas ????

Marcus Received on Tue Sep 11 2001 - 11:52:03 CEST

Original text of this message