Re: Table-Extents / Performance

From: Steve Long <steve-long_at_mediaone.net>
Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2001 10:38:58 GMT

the following excerpt from the document you refer to should provide insight to the questions you raise:

Oracle supports an unlimited number of extents in a segment. The performance for DML operations is largely independent of the number of extents in the segment. However, certain DDL operations such as dropping and truncating of segments are sensitive to the number of extents. Performance measures for these operations have shown that a few thousand extents can be supported by Oracle without a significant impact on performance. A reasonable maximum has been determined to be 4096.

The goal of our recommended algorithm is to keep the number of extents below 1024 which is well within the range that Oracle can efficiently handle. When a segment reaches 1024 extents it is a candidate to be moved to the next larger extent size tablespace.