Re: Oracle8i Spatial, R 8.1.7 EE

From: Giorgos Tsiamitas <gtsiam_at_gmx.net>
Date: Sat, 21 Jul 2001 21:10:04 GMT

Thanks for the clarification and excuse my misunderstanding.

I agree it's hard to give any advice on this. Since distribution is a key requirement I would say choose the relational model and later migrate it to ORM when you upgrade to Oracle 9i with ORM replication support. SQLs and PL/SQLs in applications should avoid referencing tables directly - instead they should reference views when possible and efficient. This will ease the migration.

--
Giorgos

> > comments below
> >
> > "PD" <no_pdo_at_ibmws2.ipf.tuwien.ac.at> wrote in message
> > > Need help on Oracle8i Spatial - Release 8.1.7.
> > >
> > > I'm designing a spatial Oracle database using Oracle8i-Release 8.1.7.
> > > Enterprise Edition. I read the documentation:
> > > Oracle Spatial - User's Guide and Reference (a85337-01)
> > > On page 28 f. (Chapter 1.2 Object-Relational and Relational Models)
they
> > > write:
> > >
> > > You should select the object-relational model in all cases except
where
> > > the relational model is necessary for current needs. Basically, the
> > > object-relational model is preferable in cases where replication and
> > > distributed databases are not required. [...] In these environments,
> > > users can take advantage of the Oracle8i managed standby capability to
> > > get, in effect, read-only replication of database instances or
> > > tablespaces, and thus the object-relational model can be used. [...]
> > > 1.2.2 Benefits of the Relational Model: The following are some of the
> > > benefits of using the relational model, as described in Part II of
this
> > > guide:
> > > * Database replication is supported.
> > > * Distributed databases are supported.
> > > * Table partitioning and parallel index loading are supported.
> > >
> > > I have to develop a distributed database and as I have to deal with a
> > > big amount of image data within this db I need to use replication. At
> > > least 'read-only replication'.
> > >
> > > So my questions:
> > > Is there a possibility for me to use the Object-Relational Model?
> > > If not:
> > > When is Oracle going to implement distribution and replication for the
> > > ORM?
> > > As I choose the relational model: How long this model going to be
> > > supported by Oracles' new releases?
> >
> > The relational model is going to be supported until a better and viable
> > alternative is found - I would say more than 5-10 years.
Object-Relational