Re: Oracle8i Spatial, R 8.1.7 EE

From: Giorgos Tsiamitas <gtsiam_at_gmx.net>
Date: Sat, 21 Jul 2001 21:09:58 GMT

comments below

"PD" <no_pdo_at_ibmws2.ipf.tuwien.ac.at> wrote in message news:3B1CCEB0.43DF70C_at_ibmws2.ipf.tuwien.ac.at...
> Need help on Oracle8i Spatial - Release 8.1.7.
>
> I'm designing a spatial Oracle database using Oracle8i-Release 8.1.7.
> Enterprise Edition. I read the documentation:
> Oracle Spatial - User's Guide and Reference (a85337-01)
> On page 28 f. (Chapter 1.2 Object-Relational and Relational Models) they
> write:
>
> You should select the object-relational model in all cases except where
> the relational model is necessary for current needs. Basically, the
> object-relational model is preferable in cases where replication and
> distributed databases are not required. [...] In these environments,
> users can take advantage of the Oracle8i managed standby capability to
> get, in effect, read-only replication of database instances or
> tablespaces, and thus the object-relational model can be used. [...]
> 1.2.2 Benefits of the Relational Model: The following are some of the
> benefits of using the relational model, as described in Part II of this
> guide:
> * Database replication is supported.
> * Distributed databases are supported.
> * Table partitioning and parallel index loading are supported.
>
> I have to develop a distributed database and as I have to deal with a
> big amount of image data within this db I need to use replication. At
> least 'read-only replication'.
>
> So my questions:
> Is there a possibility for me to use the Object-Relational Model?
> If not:
> When is Oracle going to implement distribution and replication for the
> ORM?
> As I choose the relational model: How long this model going to be
> supported by Oracles' new releases?

The relational model is going to be supported until a better and viable alternative is found - I would say more than 5-10 years. Object-Relational Model (ORM) is not considered to be such an alternative, neither in theory, nor in practice. The relational model is around for 30 years or so and it's going to stay here a lot more.

Oracle, as all mainstream DBMSs, implements the relational model and adds some limited support for objects, mainly to facilitate abstractions. To desupport the relational model would mean: 1. rewrite the entire software from scratch, 2. lose their marketshare.

So, go for the relational model and dont worry!

--
Giorgos

P.S. I do not represent Oracle and opinions expressed here are mine, however
I hold no copyright :-)