Re: Please Help Restore My DB

From: Dan Hunter <dhunter65_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 10 Jul 2001 17:47:06 -0700

With some help from Tundey at Oracle, I solved the problem. I'm going to post my steps here in case anyone else runs into the same issue.

  1. Reinstall same version of Oracle and create same database. For example, if the database to which you are trying to connect is called inventory.office, when reinstalling, create a new db called inventory.office.
  2. Go into Server Manager, shut down the db, and run the following script (all of the files referenced in this script are the backed up files that you would like to restore):

# The following commands will create a new control file and use it
# to open the database.
# Data used by the recovery manager will be lost. Additional logs may
# be required for media recovery of offline data files. Use this
# only if the current version of all online logs are available.
STARTUP NOMOUNT
CREATE CONTROLFILE REUSE DATABASE "inventory" NORESETLOGS NOARCHIVELOG

    MAXLOGFILES 32
    MAXLOGMEMBERS 2
    MAXDATAFILES 32
    MAXINSTANCES 16
    MAXLOGHISTORY 1815
LOGFILE
  GROUP 1 'D:\ORACLE_tape\oracle\ORADATA\inventory\REDO03.LOG' SIZE 1M,
  GROUP 2 'D:\ORACLE_tape\oracle\ORADATA\inventory\REDO02.LOG' SIZE 1M,
  GROUP 3 'D:\ORACLE_tape\oracle\ORADATA\inventory\REDO01.LOG' SIZE 1M
DATAFILE

  'D:\ORACLE_tape\oracle\ORADATA\inventory\SYSTEM01.DBF',
  'D:\ORACLE_tape\oracle\ORADATA\inventory\RBS01.DBF',
  'D:\ORACLE_tape\oracle\ORADATA\inventory\USERS01.DBF',
  'D:\ORACLE_tape\oracle\ORADATA\inventory\TEMP01.DBF',
  'D:\ORACLE_tape\oracle\ORADATA\inventory\TOOLS01.DBF',
  'D:\ORACLE_tape\oracle\ORADATA\inventory\INDX01.DBF',
  'D:\ORACLE_tape\oracle\ORADATA\inventory\DR01.DBF'
CHARACTER SET WE8ISO8859P1
;
# Recovery is required if any of the datafiles are restored backups,
# or if the last shutdown was not normal or immediate.
# RECOVER DATABASE
# Database can now be opened normally.

ALTER DATABASE OPEN;
# No tempfile entries found to add.

#

3. For whatever reason (I'm not an Oracle dba so I don't quite understand what was going on) when I ran this script I got an error at the end of the job. Something like "file system01.dbv needs media recovery." I ran the following command: "alter database recover datafile
'D:\ORACLE_tape\oracle\ORADATA\inventory\SYSTEM01.DBF';". I then re-ran the script and I got the same error, except not for system01.dbf, but for the next file (RBS01.DBF). So I just ran the "alter database..." command for each file mentioned in the above script, started the db, and I was in business.

I hope this helps someone avoid the same b.s. that I've had to go through to recover this database.

Danny Received on Wed Jul 11 2001 - 02:47:06 CEST

Original text of this message