Re: Please Help Restore My DB

From: Homayoun <hsadri_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 10 Jul 2001 08:08:29 -0700

I am not sure what is your exact situation so I can not give you exact answer.
But here is an attempt, since you say that you have all the data,logs,control files,...

I assume that you have a backup in place which has kept all this information for you.

Well you do not need to create a new database with the same name because this database will create its own set of control files and if you go to replace them you probably will get anywhere since the internal tags will not match.

Instead try to locate the init.ora file for the database that you have lost (look in you backups) and start from there. If I were you I would restore the whole oracle directory and go from there but God knows what caused your failure in the first place; if it were cause by a virus then be careful not to recreate it.

init.ora is what defines a database, so if you have a database named "test1" then you probably need to look for a file that defines "test1".

I am not sure if you are on Windows or Unix but surly you know how to search or grep on your platform.

Hope that this helps.

Cheers,

Homayoun
hsadri_at_hotmail.com