Re: Need your suggestion -- related to Oracle backup

From: Kenneth Koenraadt <plovmand_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Sat, 30 Jun 2001 13:17:47 GMT

On 27 Jun 2001 13:48:24 -0700, nagu_7_at_yahoo.com (Nagarajan) wrote:

>Hi all,
>
>I have the following scenaria... I need the suggestions for this...
>
>I have some views in the remote oracle server(8i).
>What I have to do is, I have to create a new database
>in my local machine which will be a replica of the
>views in that remote database.
>
>The remote server is the live server. All the
>transaction will be in that remote server. For some
>other application we need all the datas from that live
>server to our local database.
>
>And once I set up the local database, I need to get in
>sync with the remote server (I have to update my local
>database with the remote server's datas) may be once
>in two days or so...
>
>Here is my question.
>
>What will be the best way to handle this.
>
>I thought of creating some triggers which will insert
>the newly entered records and the updated records into
>a new table. Then I can export those tables and import
>into my local database. Is this a good idea or not!
>
>Need your suggestion on this... And also can you guys suggest me a
>better way to do this...
>
>Thanks in advance...
>
>Regards,
>Nagarajan.A

Hi,

If you only need to sync the databases every second day, then you can just do this :

  1. Export the relevant tables from the remote server (use e.g. tablespace export mode, if the remote server and your server has the same platform). .
  2. Import the tables into your local machine

No need to use advanced replication, triggers or any other complicated/hard-to-maintain stuff for such a simple task.

Regards,
Kenneth Koenraadt
Systems Consultant
Oracle DBA
plovmand_at_<no-spam>hotmail.com Received on Sat Jun 30 2001 - 15:17:47 CEST

Original text of this message