Re: Dynamic Sql Oracle VS Sql Server

From: Ricky Jones <rjones_at_hascientific.com>
Date: Wed, 23 May 2001 10:23:25 -0400

I would agree there is a better way but as my original email says I am translating from a sql server app. This app is one that I did not write and the way that is written is. Each browsable object has a diffrent procedure to browse inside of it and there are about 80 diffrent objects. That would be hell to try to translate. What I finnaly did was use a temporary table and pass the name into the procedure call it then would return it back to me.
"Jim Kennedy" <kennedy-family_at_home.com> wrote in message news:3h_M6.23153$p33.384389_at_news1.sttls1.wa.home.com...
> Your description of the problem seems to me to be like creating a function
> just so you can do something like
> select * from table;
>
> While any programming problem can be solved by adding another level of
> indirection why not just issue a select statement? Unlike SQLServer
 Oracle
> does not have the concurrency problems and thus you don't hav to go
 through
> such machinations just to get some data.(readers don't block writers and
> writers don't block readers)
>
> Certainly there are probably ways to accomplish what you want to do , but
 it
> isn't going to be pretty and it isn't going to scale well. (Dynamic sql by
> its nature is not very scalable)
> Jim
>
> "Ricky Jones" <rjones_at_hascientific.com> wrote in message
> > But you cannot use Ref Cur in dynamic SQL.
> >
> > "Jim Kennedy" <kennedy-family_at_home.com> wrote in message
> > > See ref cursor in the documentation.
> > > "Ricky Jones" <rjones_at_hascientific.com> wrote in message

 procedure,
 it
 from
 this.