Re: Dynamic Sql Oracle VS Sql Server

From: Jim Kennedy <kennedy-family_at_home.com>
Date: Fri, 18 May 2001 00:45:51 GMT

Your description of the problem seems to me to be like creating a function just so you can do something like
select * from table;

While any programming problem can be solved by adding another level of indirection why not just issue a select statement? Unlike SQLServer Oracle does not have the concurrency problems and thus you don't hav to go through such machinations just to get some data.(readers don't block writers and writers don't block readers)

Certainly there are probably ways to accomplish what you want to do , but it isn't going to be pretty and it isn't going to scale well. (Dynamic sql by its nature is not very scalable)
Jim

"Ricky Jones" <rjones_at_hascientific.com> wrote in message news:3b03dc30_3_at_newsfeeds...
> But you cannot use Ref Cur in dynamic SQL.
>
> "Jim Kennedy" <kennedy-family_at_home.com> wrote in message
> > See ref cursor in the documentation.
> > "Ricky Jones" <rjones_at_hascientific.com> wrote in message
> > > Dynamic Sql Oracle Vs Sql Server 7.0
> > >
> > > Im currently converting a MSSql Server 7.0 database into Oracle 8i.
> > > The sql server database uses the exec command to run a stored
 procedure,
 it